We typically tend to think of the beach or the mountains when planning the perfect weekend getaway but how about giving the desert a try! It's no secret that I love visiting Palm Springs. In fact, since October, my boyfriend and I have been back three times! I just can't get enough. Palm Springs is a desert oasis unlike any other and only a two hour drive (without traffic) from LA. The overall vibe of this city is like stepping into a time machine and entering a world left over from the 1950s. The only way to describe it: Frank Sinatra's playground. If you're looking for a truly, relaxing escape, you must add Palm Springs to your list!
This trip, we were lucky enough to stay at the infamous La Quinta Resort & Club. Upon arrival, we took a history tour of the property. I had no idea that this hotel dates back to the 1920s. This Waldorf Astoria Resort has been a hideaway for stars from Greta Garbo to Clark Gable to even President Eisenhower. Another fun fact? Ginger Rogers got married here in front of the fountain. The resort was also the site which film director and frequent guest Frank Capra wrote many of his screenplays poolside in the 30's. Frank Capra called his casita his “Shangri-la of screenwriting”. He soon developed a life long love affair with the resort and eventually moved in. The historic Capra suite is still on the property and can be your inspiration too. Check out his typewriter that is still in the room below.
Yes, this is the actual typewriter on which Frank Capra wrote It’s a Wonderful Life. Yes, I was geeking out.
Our room was something else! The Spanish Colonial architecture at La Quinta resort is absolutely beautiful and I love the vibrant pops of blue on every casita.
The best thing about this resort is that you never have to leave the property the entire weekend if you don't want to. Some of the things I recommend doing while staying here are:
1. Swim and lay out! The resort offers 41 pools throughout its 45-acre grounds. We loved the adult-only Plunge pool. Amazing music, breathtaking mountain views and delicious skinny margs!
2. Play tennis on one of their 23 courts!
3. Visit their luxury spa and pamper yourself. Relax in the sauna and go for a massage or a facial. I treated myself to a La Quinta Spa facial. Their new HydraFacial takes skin rejuvenation to a whole new level. My skin is still glowing.
4. Play golf on one of the PGA West golf courses.
5. Grab coffee and pastries at The Marketplace.
6. Rent bikes from the fitness center. Concierge gave us some fun cycling route recommendations along with a bike map showing us all the nearby trails. The Santa Rosa mountains make for excellent hiking as well.
7. Brunch at Twenty6. Located on property, is a great spot to grab a casual bite. Their breakfast buffet has a great mix of classic comfort food as well as a build-your-own-omelette bar!
8. Dine at Morgan's in the Desert! Hands down, one of the best meals I have had in 2017. It's fine dining at it's best and located to the right of the lobby/reception area. Their chef is award winning and is an El Bulli alum, having worked under Ferran Adrià. We couldn't have asked for a better dining experience. The restaurant has a very romantic ambiance and was the perfect place to have our date night. I'm still dreaming about my Tandoori Sea bass and their truffle fries!
If you are looking for some pampering in the desert, La Quinta resort and club is the perfect choice!
Have you been to Palm Springs? Have any favorite spots? Please share in the comments!